Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tutoring

Well we tutor on Tuesday. It is a highlight of my week. Our tutoring center meets inside a double car garage near the Mission in San Juan. Ruby, Phill and I usually arrive well after all the kids have packed themselves into the garage. Ruby wears her backpack and brings her homework to keep herself busy. We have 4 tables set up with little signs that designate what grades sits where. I have learned to keep myself planted at the kindergarten/first grade table. Their work is the easiest. But today we were low on tutors so I had to help the, oh maybe 4th/5th grade table. Equivalent Fractions, boy did that little girl see right through me. She knew that I was pretty clueless and asked if we could just look at the other boys paper to make sure we were on the right track. I told her, "We're ok." But in the back of my mind I was thinking, "what if I just taught this girl all wrong, like I did to those kids on the day I subbed PE and I had to teach them the rules to volleyball." We finished the worksheet, I was so proud, more of me than her. I told her she would get a 100% on the test. She asked if I would bring her candy if she did. I said sure. Then she said with a laugh, "What if don't?", "Well we will just work harder." No doubt I will be back with my 1st graders next week. All this and I told Phill I wanted to teach college someday. No wonder he kinda laughed.

2 comments:

  1. I often have to get the help of our in-house math expert when I'm working on the standardized tests for 3rd grade. It's humbling. I never should have repeatedly ditched that problem-solving class in college...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE what you have done here... damask..

    ReplyDelete