Saturday, June 12, 2010

Jammin


My father in law gets the best deals on produce. This time 24 pints of blackberries for $13. He gave them all to me. Knowing that these berries mold quickly I had to get right to work. I always use The Joy of Cooking instructions when I make jam and preserves. The instructions are thorough and easy to follow. Canning really is so much fun and satisfying. I can't think of anything more fun to give than a jar of jam with a Ruby-made label.

Here is how I did it:




I used just 13 of the pints and 4 small apples (chopped), 3 cups of sugar. I did not want to use pectin, so I used apples-they have the pectin naturally. It sounds like a lot of sugar but by law store brands have over 50% sugar (so that is what the Joy of Cooking says).
I stirred this mixture on a LOW simmer for probably 2 hours. Now that sounds insane and the reason it took SO long, too many berries. Maybe start with 3-4 pints.
Prior to stirring I prepped my jars (see directions in cook book), this makes a loud clanking noise, but I love the sound. When the jam is thick enough pour into hot jars. It is so exciting to watch the heat suck in the top of the jar and form a seal. It makes me want to can my own pasta sauce, tomatoes, pickles, etc. Too bad my garden is really bad this year. I guess that is what you get for planting a garden 15 miles away and expecting someone else to take care of it. I have been eating jam and toast every morning.

1 comment:

  1. I have the same meyers soaps by my sink.. same set up. I love it. I wish I was there to help with this process. Some day I will try.

    ReplyDelete