Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sea World



We took a last minute vacation to San Diego last week. Oh how I love that town. We found a great deal at The Dana hotel on Mission Bay. It is owned by the same people who own Humphrey's Half Moon, so they are very similar. The old side of The Dana feels like Hawaii. We stayed on the old side, it was way cheaper. $76 a night! The hotel is right on the bay next to Sea World. As soon as we got our room I ditched Phill and Ruby at the pool and took my paddle board out. I was nervous as this is a pretty big body of water to navigate alone and in the wind. But I had to try since I could walk my board out from our room. I just love Stand Up Paddle Boarding! It is so serene, simple and empowering.

That night we ate in Old Town at Casa De Reyes. I remember eating there with my parents years ago. The food was amazing and we sat outside, in fact 99% of the restaurant ate outside. The location reminded Phill and I of our wedding (oh yes, today is our 6th anniversary).

Sea World was the next morning. Ruby had won 2 tickets to Sea World at that special needs dance, so it was a real blessing to have $120 in free tickets. Ruby had no idea what to expect and the place blew her mind. She was so amazed that she sat stone faced in every show, just studying what was going on. We made it to every show but one! We were there for the opening and closing of the park. It was a long, but great day. I proved my Wyomingness and got super sun burned. When will I learn? But I did surprise Phill in the fact that I kept buying trays of fish to feed the seals and rays.

We saved the best for last, Shamu. We got great seats. I have a large stash of emergency ponchos at home, of course I forgot them for Sea World. But not to worry, I made Ruby and I tank top ponchos out of plastic bags. We were on row 16, just below the wheelchairs. I am not sure if it really was the splash zone, but I was ready. Although I noticed that Ruby and I were pretty much the only ones in the audience with any type of poncho on.



Of course, like all kids who visit Sea World she wants to be an animal trainer and be called Marina.

That night we had great fried sea food at a little place across from our hotel and then went to Mission Beach for the rides. The place is just like I remembered from freshman year. Trashy, expensive, but so fun. Ruby left with a prized wooden rose bud and a ride on a Submarine that oddly went up in the air. Phill and I debated if she was old enough to handle it alone, I said yes and he said no she would cry. I think he teared up when he realized she was having the time of her life up high and with all the other kids.

The next morning I got up early and walked across the street to a new Einstein's Bagels that is right on the water (yep that is it in the photo below). It is owned by the Hyatt so it cost an arm and a leg, but worth it to wake up Phill with a fun treat and coffee. I am looking forward to meeting the girls there someday for a reunion.


A bit later we paddled behind Sea World and then hung out with a cute Cambodian family and helped them dig for ghost shrimp. We ended our trip with a few hours at the pool. Such a wonderful few days, but makes me want a long get away.

No comments:

Post a Comment