Saturday, August 14, 2010

Fun Valley, Colorado









Since my late elementary years we have been driving through SW Colorado. From 1987-1995 I probably made this drive 15 times. Each time we would drive over Wolf Creek pass we would pass through an amazingly beautiful valley and at the bottom was a place called Fun Valley. It was a huge RV camping park. I could see from my window- put-put golf, little cabins, a river flowing. In my mind it was paradise. I begged my parents to let us stay there, but we were just too close to Uncle Mel and Aunt Rhoda's to warrant camping. One year in the mid 90s, my mom and I stopped by to get an ice cream and they would not let us in unless we were registered guests. This only intensified my Fun Valley dreams. Finally, this summer Ruby and I were road tripping back to Colorado with my mom and dad. They said I could pick the route, since we were pulling their trailer. I chose Fun Valley. She did not let me down. In fact, it was more amazing than I could have ever dreamed. The only odd thing is that there were virtually not Coloradans there, only Texans. The place is filled with and run by Texans. We all figured out pretty quick that we better have a drawl if we wanted to fit in. The place started in 1959 and it has not changed much since. There is a funatorium, put-put, snack shack, dinner lodge, square dance hall, inner tubing, bikes for rent, horse shoes. The best part is that you can "charge" everything to your camp site number. There is great fishing in the private ponds in FV and also in the South Fork of the Rio Grand River, which calmly runs through the middle of the resort. On our last day we took Ruby fishing, I caught an 11" Rainbow. Probably should have let me kid reel it in since she never caught one.
I am dying to go back next summer, anyone want to join us?

5 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, YES! I want to go! you make it sound like a dream.....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love the new layout! Why can I see you and Phill running Funland someday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the new look to the blog. Phill and Mandy Funland sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Vieve, do you recognize those shoes in the upper right? Yep, I pulled them out of retirement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh i know those shoes... and oddly enough wished many times I had kept mine. I love the new blog and new post!! I wish I was with you guys.

    ReplyDelete